Spending on 5G network infrastructure is expected to jump from $528 million in 2018 to $26 billion in 2022 good for a compound annual growth rate of 118 percent, according to IDC.
IDC’s inaugural 5G network infrastructure forecast highlights the network boom that 5G will bring. Wireless carriers ranging from Verizon to AT&T to T-Mobile have aggressive 5G build out plans. For businesses, 5G is expected to give a boost to edge computing and make Internet of things devices more intelligence.
“2019 is set to be a seminal year in the mobile industry,” noted IC” “5G handsets will begin to hit the market and end users will be able to experience 5G firsthand.”
IDC also noted that the mobile industry is trialing network virtualization, machine learning and artificial intelligence to leverage new spectrum and create value from existing services. The 5G NR standards will enable faster speeds in cities, but the full potential won’t come until there are more standards.
The forecast also assumes the communications service providers will invest in 5G gear as well as related technologies. IDC’s forecast will be a boon for players such as Ericsson and Nokia and Samsung is also betting that 5G will make it an infrastructure player too.
Black Friday 2018 deals:
- Black Friday 2018 and Cyber Monday 2018: When and where to get the best deals
- Walmart Black Friday ad features $99 Chromebook, $89 Windows 2-in-1 laptop
- BJs Wholesale Black Friday ad leaks with laptop, desktop, tablet deals
- Target Black Friday ad includes $250 iPad mini 4, $120 Chromebook deals
- Costco kicks off Black Friday ad leaks season with $250 iPad, pair of $200 laptops
- Amazon Black Friday 2018: See early deals on Echo, Fire HD, and more
- Dell Black Friday ad features $120 Inspiron laptop, $500 gaming desktop
- Edge computing: The state of the next IT transformation
- Survey shows businesses eager to implement and invest in edge computing
- Special report: From Cloud to Edge: The Next IT Transformation (free PDF)
- What you need to know before implementing edge computing
- Making the case for an edge computing project
- Edge computing: the cyber security risks you must consider
- Ten scenarios where edge computing can bring new value
- Ten edge computing vendors to watch